Blue Ridge Veterinary Services encompasses both Animal Medical Services of Mount Airy, NC, and Galax Veterinary Clinic of Galax, VA. Since our first practice opened in 1966, we have provided high quality medical care for small and large animals. With two clinics and six veterinarians to serve you, we can provide a wealth of expertise and technology combined with personal, compassionate care.
Why choose us as your “other family doctor”?
- As the largest provider of both large and small animal care in the area, we can offer you the convenience of meeting all your animal health needs in one location. No need to have multiple clinics you have to contact. From your lap dog to your beef cattle, and even your daughter’s new rabbit, you can rest assured that with Blue Ridge Veterinary Services, one phone call can get you the information and medical care you need.
- Convenient Hours: We offer house/farm call services and both morning and evening appointments. You may also find our day hospitalization convenient. This no charge service allows us to hospitalize your pet for the day, perform the medical assessment and contact you when everything is completed.
- Emergency Services: We provide ” ’round the clock” emergency care to our patients. Even on holidays and weekends one of our veterinarians is just a phone call away.
- State of the Art Diagnostic Capabilities: At Blue Ridge Veterinary Services your pet will have access to some of the most advanced diagnostic equipment and procedures. These include x-ray (in house and mobile), ultrasounds, video otoscopy (examination of ear canal), in hospital blood testing, urinalysis, internal and external parasite testing, tonometry eye pressure screening, ecg, pulse oximetry, and blood pressure measurement. Our in hospital blood testing allows us to perform chemistry testing, complete blood counts, electrolytes, thyroid testing and measurement of cortisol, bile acids, phenobarbital levels. Not only does this increase the level of care we can provide, but you can receive answers the same day. See our services tab for a complete listing of all our offerings.
- Complete Range of Treatment Options: When your pet is seen by one of our veterinarians, we will discuss all of your treatment options. We tailor the treatment you pet receives to your needs-from common sense “old fashioned medicine” to the most advanced treatments veterinary medicine has to offer.
- By partnering with Rapport through our veterianary software, we can offer you online scheduling and pet information at any time of day or night. You may also receive email reminders and newsletters about health care.
- Emphasis on Education: From your first phone call to our support staff to the extensive library of articles on our website, we want to do our best to educate you on the proper care for your pet. We will take the time to discuss your concerns thoroughly, and hopefully point out some you may not have thought of, during every visit to our clinic.
- Family Atmosphere: Dr. Donald “Doc” Fincher established Galax Veterinary Clinic at a time when veterinarians were integral to rural life. We have stayed true to his vision that we are a part of our patient’s families. The majority of our staff members have been with our practice for at least 5 years and know many of our clients both personally and professionally. You and your pet will appreciate a friendly face when you come for your visit.
- We practice “Fear Free” Veterinary Medicine! The best healing springs from compassionate care. We understand a clinic visit can be scary and painful, so we take our patient’s feelings into consideration and act accordingly. We do the little things that help to make your pet’s treatment as stress free and enjoyable as possible. You may see us do some unusual things such as cover your cat with a blanket (they think they are hiding), “bribe” your dog with a treat (dogs do great with positive reinforcement) or sedate your horse lightly for even a minor procedure (horses have great memories when it comes to anything they don’t like!). We practice proactive pain management as well, doing our best to stop pain before it starts. If your pet has a “vet phobia” call us to discuss how we can handle your visit in a gentle way.
- Rated multiple years the “Best Veterinarian” by both the Galax Gazette and Surry County’s Good News!
- We sponsor the “Pet Peace of Mind Program” through Mountain Valley Hospice, the “Feed the People, Feed the Pet’s Program” through Foothills Food Bank, and “Toys for Tots Program” through the USMC Reserve.
- We are an Affiliate Referring Practice to the Virginia Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine. This means we can provide you with the best care by working with specialists on the management of your pet’s health concerns.
- We support our local school systems by providing internships and job shadowing opportunities for students and teachers as well as speaking to classes at all grade levels.
- We have and will continue to partner with the local county extension services to provide workshops and seminars that address herd health issues.
“Those who will exclude any of God’s creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity will deal likewise with their fellow man.” –St. Francis of Assisi